yesterday i was walking downtown and there was a bee at about my waist height flying kind of along the sidewalk with me. I am limping and kind of slow so i kept a good eye on it and the strangest thing happened. It was flying all ducky and wavy (real words?) and all of a sudden it just dropped onto the sidewalk. It wasn't landing, it just fell from the air and hit the sidewalk hard, even rolled a little bit. It totally creeped me out. It just died! It looked like a pretty healthy bee, and there are plenty of healthy gardens around....so I started to look into the whole "the bees are dying!" thing a little more. Here is one of the articles I breifly looked at online which confirmed the idea I had which was that bees aren't simply dropping (at least not that we observe) as much as some of them are completely abandoning the hives and leaving the queen and all the not yet fully grown bees to starve and die. It kind of reminded me of bee movie, maybe they are sick of being "worker bees" and want to explore the world outside of their hive. Maybe we should look harder into bee brain activity....okay kidding but seriously-this sucks. I hope they can get their shit together soon. We need them.
Hives are a cool thing, a lot of designers and city planners are looking to hive structure and social systems for the future of making humans more local and environmental. Maybe without the whole queen thing....
Here's a REALLY random thought I would like to tag on the end of this. I think that cantelope should be called honey dew and honey dew cantelope since cantelope (the orange one) is obviously the sweeter of the two-and therefore is more deserving of the name honey dew
and I'm out
little spurts of activity that go on in my head. Things I like, things I don't like and daily happenings.
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
About Me
- Alicia Busa
- not all who wander are lost. but some of us are.
No comments:
Post a Comment