little spurts of activity that go on in my head. Things I like, things I don't like and daily happenings.

Monday, August 18, 2008

save the waves

I understand there are issues that are completely disputable on the topic of our planets health. In fact I am not one to blab about global warming mostly because it is a natural occurrence that we all learned about in primary school. Here educate yourself.

However, I'm sick of being called a tree hugger and worse a "hippie" (which I'm NOT, in fact I hate politics and want nothing to do with them) for talking about issues that are indisputable and true. There are problems with this world that no one wants to talk about because they don't want to be dubbed a "tree hugger" I mean what the fuck does that mean anyways? I'd rather hug a tree than a ignorant prick who ignores the environment like its uncool. Anyways, not to sound like a "bitter old man" as my sister so fondly puts it two posts ago but I was watching Transformers today and revisited an old issue I had with the movie. I fucking loved the movie actually. Hilarious and action packed, right up my ally. Throw in some cool cars and of course one hot actor and you've won my attention to the fullest. But heres my issue: They spend the whole movie telling us about how fucking cool this metal is that megatron is made of, indestructable, unheard of, able to heal itself?? and then once they kill him what do they do? right at the end there remember that? They dump him in the ocean. Thats right they throw him into the deepest unexplored part of the ocean where we have no idea what kind of species we could be polluting off the face of existence. And worse, they show this! Thats really an image I would want to show the youth of America. Have some highly valuable piece of garbage you can't use anymore? go ahead throw it in! I can only hope that was some kind of generated imagery too and not just a giant metal prop we chucked in there although it wouldn't surprise me.

Okay so I might sound a bit over extreme but the oceans are already fucked. Seriously I doubt many of you have heard of it but there is a GIANT floating island of trash in the Pacific where all the tides come together. There are MANY articles about this, although most mainstream press have only about a paragraph or two. Just type in "trash in ocean" and you can find pages of it. My favorite article however (which just so happens to be out of my favorite magazine) is this one. It really wraps up the basics of what this garbage heap really means while remaining humorous and "cool" for all you tree hugging haters out there. So please, try to learn the facts and not get upset or scared at a little environmentalism every once in a while. Aside from some bark chaffing would it really hurt much to hug a tree?

About Me

not all who wander are lost. but some of us are.